ASTP-Proton is the premier, pan-European association for professionals involved in knowledge transfer between universities and industry. Its annual conference was titled “New Horizons, New Opportunities”. During the conference a booth for PROGRESS-TT was set up in which the role of Fraunhofer MOEZ within the project was explained to the conference participants. It was held on 20-22 May 2015 in Istanbul, hosted by the Turkish University – Industry Cooperation Centres Platform (USIMP).
By promoting and professionalizing knowledge transfer practices, ASTP-Proton aims to enhance the impact of public research on society and the economy. It has several interest areas overlapping with Fraunhofer MOEZ’s interests and therefore is a perfect project partner for us.
The Conference program focused on different aspects of the knowledge transfer profession from a transnational perspective, including sessions on:
- IP policies in Europe and beyond, how they motivate or deter researchers from knowledge transfer,
- cases in providing innovation consultancy internationally, both from a provider and recipient point of view,
- the evolving role and the latest developments of IP protection and management in China,
- cross-cultural awareness and how to deal with business partners from different cultures,
- success stories of spin-outs that went global and lessons they learnt along the way,
- access to international funding to expand your TTO activities, and
- the industry perspective on working with TTOs globally
The sessions were a good introduction to the various aspects of tech transfer and gave answers to some of the key questions as well as a solid understanding of what success looks like for a TTO. Additionally several booth were set up for networking and information purposes.